Homecoming (Live) - Bethel Music

 Homecoming, when I first heard about this album I was thinking " That's an odd name for a worship album."  After listening to at least the first and last song ( and maybe a couple in the middle) the name makes total sense. I was super excited about this album, much more than the last album from Bethel
Music titled "Revival's In The Air". Actually, most of the songs from that album are great songs they just took a while for me to realize it. 

The first songs I will talk about are the song that you may have heard before. These would be, of course, Son of Suffering, Too Good To Not Believe, Hymn Of Heaven, My King Forever, and All Hail King Jesus.  

My King Forever I like the song but I was expecting a spontaneous moment or something; since the song has been recorded by Josh Baldwin multiple times before now.  

All Hail King Jesus was ehh. To be honest, I have not really been a fan of Bethany Wohrle (who lead the song on this album). I love the song since I heard Jeremy Riddle sing it in 2018, but it did not really seem like it was hers. For example, When Hunter Thompson sang Christ is Risen you felt like it was his song even though it was not. He OWNED it.  Not really a good example maybe the whole Tasha Cobbs and Break every chain thing will get you to understand what I am talking about. I feel like it was originally intended for the other writer of All Hail King Jesus to lead it before she left, which would be Steffany Gretzinger. She killed it on youtube and I am still waiting for her to release her version. 

Now done with the super negative. Hymn of Heaven is amazing! I am still trying to figure out if I like this version or Phil Wickham's version better. Zahriya Zachary, the newest member of the Bethel collective,  was a nice addition to the song. 

Everyone by now knows Too Good to not Believe which was released as a single in May of this year.  It is actually the same version that is featured on the album. These powerful lyrics keep you engaged throughout the entire song. Great song for declaring a miracle over someone.

Son of Suffering, I liked this version because it featured two of the writers when the original ( which I actually prefer to listen to) did not. The song was written by David Funk, who leads it, Matt Redman, who is the featured artist on this track, Maverick City's Aaron Moses, and one other person. I love the chorus which goes  "Blood and tears, How can it be? There's a God who weeps. There's a God who bleeds. Oh, praise the one who had reached for me. Hallelujah, To the son of suffering" Such powerful lyrics!

The next two songs I will talk about were promotional singles. I Believe by Jonathan David and Melissa Helser and Homecoming by Cory Asbury feat. Gable Price. 

I believe is probably my second least favorite song. I like the words and the singers but I guess I was not really looking for a more "Country" song.  Maybe when Steffany Gretzinger or Amanda Cook ( both former members of the Bethel Music Collective and happen to be co-writers of this song)  sing it maybe I will like it, or maybe it will grow on me.

Homecoming, one of my favs on the album, and the first/titular song have the lyrics "the father is welcoming this is our homecoming." This song ties to the tale of the prodigal son. It talks about how  I was a prodigal/criminal and how Jesus paid our debt on the cross. Because of this, we can enter the kingdom of God with open arms. Now to be honest I have always heard someone else sing Cory Asbury's song before him and loved it! Then his was okay. But I actually really like this song and think most fans of him and bethel will too.  

Speaking of songs tying the tale of the prodigal son. Ring and Robe(Welcome Home) is lead by Dante Bowe and features Naomi Raine. This song is probably the most praisey song on the album. I like this song because of the declaration at the end. It is a good song to sing when someone gives their life to Jesus.

The next song is the Best song on the album. This song is called Bake To Life with Zahriya Zachary. This is her first appearance as a member of the bethel collective. This song is my new favorite and will probably be yours too. I love the moment at the end where she says" the enemy thought he had me but Jesus said you are mine." She is definitely making a name for herself! Although I recognize that she probably replaced Kalley (it seems she took a temporary break because of the loss of her daughter) who sings Spirit Move in a previous album.  I hope Zahriya and Kalley eventually work on a project together.

My next favorite song is titled Weathered. This song is led by Dante Bowe and Hannah McClure. This song reminds me of a song that my favorite worship leader wrote and sang titled florescent. The singer in that song happens to be one of the writers of this song her name is Madison Grace Binion. I am so proud of her getting one of her songs on a bethel album which means at least 3 million people are going to hear it( that is the average listing rate to their songs). 

I belong to Jesus is the first song I actually listened to by the Mcclures. It is a really good song. "Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death I will FEAR NO EVIL" I was honestly surprised but it takes the title of my third fav song on the album. 

All the other songs are great songs, but I do not want to write a whole book on them. LOL 

My favs on the album are in this order: 1. Back to Life 2. Weathered  3. I Belong to Jesus 4. Ring and Robe 5. Homecoming 6. Hymn of Heaven 7. Too Good to Not Believe 8. He Reigns  9. Send Me 10. Standing in Miracles 11. Reason to Praise 12. Son of Suffering 13. Wherever You Lead 14. My King Forever 15. I Believe 16. All Hail King Jesus.

Happy Listening!!!



Comments

  1. I updated it because I released I did not put a link for the songs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Phil Wickham & Bethel Music album?

Inhale (Exhale) - MercyMe